Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day #9 - F.A.B. Under $40

What's Old Is New

The one thing about getting older is not crossing that thin line of what is en vogue and what is skewed towards the younger demographic. However I am going to stay in my lane the 40 and FAB {Fashionable on A Budget} way. And too, just because it is trendy and Ri-Ri is rocking it does not mean I should. What sucks about that is that I feel young, kind of look young but I guess I have to dress mature and the irony of it all is that I LOVE vintage clothing a.k.a old peoples clothes. Even more so I love buying them at a bargain. I am a Goodwill, yard sale and thrift store fanatic! I find the most unique, sometimes valuable and inexpensive items. I may not always find a gem but I never pass up an opportunity to search.

I have been shopping thrift way before rapper/artist Macklemore made it a catchy tune and popular to do. And I have been doing it so long that I have developed a mini-system that I am happy to share. I know different people have different aesthetics so you may not like what I like and it's perfectly fine but, I will still impart the tricks-of-the-trade to make it a pleasant experience if you are a newbie at thrifting. Lastly, I love to shop wherever there are clothes therefore I have a range when it comes to fashion. Trust me when I tell you that I get more compliments from my thrift items than my brand new store purchases. That is an indicator that I either know my stuff OR the people who compliment me are the old people who gave it to Goodwill in the first place. Hmm...

Who? What? Wear.

The key to thrift store shopping is knowing which store to go to in what area and what to expect. Think about it...most people give away their items to stores in their area. If you go to a Goodwill or thrift store in a neigborhood that has predominately old church people; you will find mostly vintage, well-kept, unique, sometimes gawdy items. This store will be perfect for handbags, jewelry and church clothes. Rich people give away clothes too. If the area is affluent then the clothes will most likely be name brand and the prices will be slightly higher. College town? Sweat shirts, gym shoes and demin. These items will be a bit worn because college kids don't care about clothes. Not-so-nice area? Honey, be prepared to be shocked. Like, you gave this away when it should be thrown away??

Getting Your Thrift On

I took a trip to Goodwill for an under $40 outfit challenge. I wanted to pull together one solid fashionable look that included shoes and accessories. I also wanted the pieces I select to be interchangeable, trendy and classic but when styled together, harmonious. Here is my step-by-step instructions on how to shop and create a thrift store ensemble without getting overwhelmed.

1. Every person, okay, woman have their favs. If you are a shoe addict, go straight to the shoes. If you are a handbag addict, go straight to the handbags and so on. Shoes and handbags are COVETED at thrift stores! Women can get crazy in that section and it's no holds bar when it come to those items. I always go straight to the shoe & bag rack...ALWAYS! This lady was about to TAKE ME DOWN over the booties I purchased below. She made it clear that she was waiting for me to drop a shoe. She was hilarious!

2. After you grab your shoe or bag you can begin building your look. It's like decorating around a painting by pulling colors from it. This will also keep you focus and help you to not overspend.

3. Now that you have scored that cute pair of shoes you can't believe someone gave away and cute little bag that is practically new, go to the dresses. Dresses are usually vintage simply because the average woman will hold onto a dress FOREVER!! She will keep a size 4 or 6 in her closet thinking, wishing and hoping she will return to that size THEN cold reality sets in, 30yrs later, and it makes its way to the Goodwill dress rack. So there you have it! Now you are a proud owner of a 1980's peplum midi dress with shoulder pads. Yay!

4.  After the dresses skip to the skirts. Skirts can be tricky because not everyone have your aesthetic in that department. So you can either go for a vintage A-line pleated skirt, pencil skirt or something in Spring or Summer season which is floral. Still they can be tricky so try not to sacrifice what's cute for what is inexpensive.

5. Next up, jeans. Denim is in abundant at thrift stores. You will find some jeans. From name brand to boutique. That area is usually massive with the gamut of sizes and styles.

6. Lastly, accessories & finishing touches. Saunter to the hats, belts & sunnies to take a gander to see if any of those items will complete your look. The jewelry is typically in a glass case at the register. I LOVE that area! Sometimes you can score big with a stunning statement piece.

Care Instructions

Okay, this is the deal. Yes, you are purchasing used clothing and shoes so it is natural to be leary about where it come from. Some items you will feel okay trying on in the store and some you will take home and wash before wearing. If you know your sizes to the 'tee' then you will most likely take your items home and wash them even before trying on. Use discernment on how you want to 'roll w/the old.'

NOTE: ALWAYS treat your used items BEFORE wearing them for the day. Meaning, before I hit Kung Pao Bistro for date night rockin' my thrift, it was cleaned & treated.

* Inside of shoes MUST be treated with disinfectant spray or a little bleach and soapy hot water before you get your strut on. Those shoes had a history before your toesies landed in them. Be a smart cookie or lose a toe.

* Hand washing yields good results with vintage clothing. I fill a basin with cold water and use a few caps of Wool Wash.

* Other items can be thrown into the laundry, cleaned with alcohol or cleaned with a disinfect wipes.

Complete Date Night Outfit Under $40


Outfitted by Goodwill - Leather Clutch $4.99, Forever21 ripped jeans $7.99, Faux Fur Coat $9.99 & 5inch Booties $7.99 (sunnies not pictured $5.99) Under $40 {I removed the outdated buttons on the jacket. I haven't decided if I want to replace them}
Putting together the perfect date night outfit
A closer look at detailed gold heel of booties & fashionable sunnies
My entire Goodwill haul - 4 clutches, 2 pairs of jeans, pair of booties, pair of sunnies & a faux fur jacket. $48 in total.

3 genuine leather clutches and one awesome print clutch

Disinfectant Spray & Wool Wash from the local Dollar Store


My outfit! The jeans are one size large but I couldn't let that stop my flow. I added gold accessories to compliment the heel of the booties. {sorry for the poor quality photo BUT you get the picture. :-)}


Happy Thrifting, Peeps!


No comments:

Post a Comment