Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day #24 - Chick'n vs. Chicken

Chick'n vs. Chicken

The one challenge I faced when I decided to go vegan was creating meals that were healthy alternatives of my old comfort foods. I love to cook and my family loves to eat. We are big on taste, variety and hardy meals. I am the only person in the family that no longer eat animal by products therefore I still cook the meals that they enjoy. When cooking regular meals for the family, I had to train myself not to taste test and that was hard! With a few hit & misses far as seasoning was concerned, I designated my son as my official Test Taster and he loves it. He has gotten to where he can tell me to either add more seasoning or leave as is.

In the beginning I felt left out as they were eating the savory, flavorful cheesey meals and my meals were simple. I eventually researched and shopped for vegan substitutes. I started out with one product at a time to introduce my taste buds to something new. I can now say that my vegan cooking skills is pretty darn good. My family often want to eat what I am eating opposed to their regular meals. I have a few original recipes and some I've found online. Even if I do not cook myself a full meal, I can always count on my quick go-to meals. Here are a few of my tried and approved vegan soy-based products that are staples in my diet.

Smart Life
Boca
Silk
Gardien
Yves
Daiya
Tofurky
Amy's
Soy Delicious Ice Cream
Purely Decadent Ice Cream

                                     



Last night's dinner. Fried Chicken for the family & Lightlife Savory Chick'n for me.



I sauteed my chick'n in olive oil w/fresh rosemary, thyme & garlic
 Happy Health, Peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment