Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Day #15 - Four F.A.B. Pieces For Under $40

Happy Medium, Again

In a recent post I shared my thrift store shopping tips and also did an under $40 complete outfit challenge. Since 40 is the theme of my blog, I decided to do an under $40 new clothes challenge. Instead of a complete outfit, I opted for select pieces to go with items I already have. Sometimes my shopping consists of picking up a few random pieces that are interchangeable and can be styled with existing items. And to help me refrain from over spending or getting overwhelmed, I try to stick to a color story when I shop. I usually have an idea of what is in season and what I want to buy and that helps a little but I've been known to blackout and wake up with an empty bank account. As much as I like prints I've been purchasing solids lately maybe it is a phase, who knows.

I remember reading that as we get older our style changes to accommodate our aging bodies and we begin to acquire a mature but chic look with minimal trendy items. I struggle with letting go my trendy items, completely. I like some trends even if I am rockin' something a 20something would. Some trendy clothing I have to tweak a little to be age appropriate but I do like what is en vogue as well as my classic staples and my coveted vintage items. Hence that damn "happy medium" again.  Anywhoo, if I am going to buy something that is trendy or is a fad that will come and go, I will not pay an excessive amount of money for it. It does not make financial sense for me to do that...anymore.

The Fashion Mecca

I live in Los Angeles, CA one of the fashion capitals of the world. I am a highway away from the nucleus of the fashion and garment district. I frequent the area at least 4 times a month as I am currently working on several projects that entails me to do business there. I've forged business relationships and maintained them through good business practices and ethics as well as spending butt loads of money. Whether I am shopping retail or wholesale there is something so great about getting a deal and knowing where to go and get it from. One thing about me shopping in downtown Los Angeles is that I go with a mission and it ends with it being accomplished. I wear my sensible walking shoes, I park in the same lot every single time, I wave to the merchants and I get to shopping. Done dealio!

4 Pieces Under $40

So there is this lady downtown. She is cool. She has a little store front with trendy boutique clothing up to 75% off the original store price. I love her. She loves when I come to shop. I spend money. I get cute clothes. Nuff said.

                                    

black sheer blouse w/embellished rhinestone shoulders $8, cream & black blouse $8, blue romper w/lace $10 & beige romper w/full lace back $10 (Total $36)

Each item had unique details from the cut, style and buttons. I like the feminine lace detail on the rompers & the flirty look of them.

Pieces to be styled for work, date night or daytime (a closer look at the lace on the rompers)





Selecting the right accessories to compliment each outfit
                
Date night/Instagram Pic/Look #1 - blue romper, cream cropped blazer (in my hand), bronze choker & bronze layered chain, bronze handbag & shoes 

Work Wear/Look #2 - Cream & black blouse paired w/ankle length slacks

blouse, cropped blazer, ankle length slacks & croc handbag


I LOVE this handbag...it can be held as a brief case too!




Articles to peruse...

{Disclaimer: I do not necessary condone some of these outfits or advice in the articles below but I would like for you to gauge what is out there for 40yr olds and discover your own inner F.A.B (Fashionista on A Budget)}

http://www.refinery29.com/the-new-40-stylish-women-in-their-40s
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/fashion/a-20-somethings-web-site-for-women-over-40.html?_r=0

Happy Shopping, Peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment