Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day #23 - Evolve Dance Studio: Pole Dance Class Review

Never Too Old To Pole

For my countdown to 40 I have a few fun and challenging things I want to do before my b-day. I am sure I can do them at any time in my life but if I do them within an allotted time frame, it is more like a goal to be met. One of the things on my list was to take a pole dancing class. Pole dancing has become very popular in the past few years. Studios are popping up throughout the city and women and their besties are flocking to them for girls night out and themed pole parties. I mean c'mon, every woman should seductively swing off a pole like the sensual goddess she is. Well, at least that was  what I thought before actually doing it. I went to Evolve Dance Studio in the L.A. area that offers 5 classes for $50 which is a great price.

I took only one class for the sake of having fun and scratching it off of my list. The facility is very nice, neat and clean. You will be greeted by the sweetest front office receptionist ever! She was super cordial, answered my questions and loaned me a pair of her stilettos...you know, for wardrobe purposes. The dance instructor was very helpful, gave us one-on-one guidance, very experienced and extremely nice. The music selection was great and sensual. The studio is scented with sweet smelling candles that also adds to the ambiance. The students were all personable and eager to both learn and teach. There is a total of 8 poles so there can only be 8 students per class. The good thing is that they offer a lot of classes 7 days a week.

It's A Workout More Than A Dance

I was a bit nervous at first. Okay, I was a lot of bit nervous. Amongst me where women who ranged from athletic to plus size that showed incredible amount of skill and sensuousness. There is something about moving your hips in a figure 8 while your left hand is at the top of the pole and your right is at the bottom that brings out the Moulin Rouge in you. We started out with a 10minute warm-up that felt like exercise. At first I felt dooped. I wanted to swing and slide. I was too hasty. I can honestly say it was a lot of work! You have to engage your core muscles and upper body to climb the pole and you have to use your lower body muscles to build momentum to do swings. After a few tries and help, I began to get the hang of it. I stopped over-thinking it and focused on my muscles I needed to use for certain moves. The instructor taught us a routine which culminated in a final solo dance with you an your pole.

I had a good time and a great workout. There are women who pole dance as a profession and I have a new found respect for their athleticism. It is harder than they make it look. There are bumps and a lot of bruises that goes with climbing up to the ceiling just to get pole burns on the way down. Your upper body will be challenged, abs will be crunched and hip flexors will flex, in the opposite direction. And don't forget you are doing all of this while either smiling to yourself or gazing seductively at yourself in a room full of mirrors trying not to laugh. It felt good knowing that I was the oldest one in the class but then again it didn't because I began to over compensate to show the youngins' Mama can work it out too. Honey, no. I don't foresee me going back as it seems like something one can get hooked on. I already have a gym membership. Maybe I can bring a candle to the pull-up bars at the gym and wiggle in mid-air to simulate the dance studio experience.

I think every woman should experience pole dancing. It is a proven form of exercise and a great way to connect uninhibited to your sensual side. The music, the candles, the lovely studio, the staff, the ambiance, the seductive moves will make you feel even more womanly and self-loving. I had a good time and Evolve Dance Studio was a great place to experience it at.

 http://evolvedancestudio.com/



Happy Pole, Peeps!      

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet,


    Thank you for the kind words!!

    Embrace, Empower....Evolve!

    Lani H.

    ReplyDelete