Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day #30 - Beautiful You & Artist Spotlight: Cisco StreetLenz Photography

The Mirrored Beauty

Last night I started working on a new sewing project that delayed my daily blog posting. I have a few things to share with the blogger-sphere and I hope to be able to recall the cornucopia of awesomeness. Interesting enough, yesterday was a very honest day. My morning started with viewing the Today Show with guest Bobbie Thomas author of "The Power of Style" where in it she shares the unique approach to viewing your beauty from inside out.

Bobbie cites in an online article, "Acceptance is a difficult word to embrace, especially when standing in front of a mirror naked. Even if you don’t like what you see, you must own, embrace and accept. It’s critical to see yourself honestly, exactly as you are in that very moment, and value your reflection. Because if you don’t value something, why would you invest in it? What would motivate you to take care of it? And wouldn’t it be true, that you would then adorn it with items of equal worth? I mean, after all, would you wash or put premium gas in an old car you don’t care about? Only you can deprive you of feeling good, and of self-worth. Regardless of our current state, nothing can be gained from focusing on what you don’t like. It’s when you love the skin you’re in that you can really be free to express yourself (the true definition of style)."

Candidly speaking, lately I find myself standing in the mirror naked. Analyzing every blemish, stretch mark, wrinkle, crinkle, scar, pimple, dimple, ripple, low nipple... I would take note of every flaw and then allowed it to influence my emotional well-being. Instead I should be thanking my body for housing my spirit for almost 40 years. When you think about it, your body is the caretaker of your spirit, emotional intelligence and intellect. I give it so much grief for submitting to Mother Nature that I fail to stop and say "thank you". So I stand in the mirror and betray it with criticism. What I am criticizing anyway? What am I or who I am comparing it to?

Bobbie goes on to say,"With so many “picture perfect” images ingrained in our psyche, we have a knee-jerk reaction to compare ourselves to unrealistic ideals. It’s as if we are afraid of ourselves, and thus avoid looking in the mirror. Therefore, I think it’s important to see more reality, to see more of ourselves —and each other. I’m a girl’s girl, always have been, always will be, and wholeheartedly believe that a support system works. We really can change our view, individually and collectively, to understand that style is not about stuff, and starts far deeper than the surface of our outer layers."

Step Away From The Mirror  

On April 14th I stepped away from the mirror and stepped in front a professional camera lens. It was the first time I've ever done something so brave. It took a year in the making because I wanted to make it an event with uber awesomeness AND because I wasn't ready, emotionally. I was not ready to step out of the mirror of criticism and self doubt. I was not ready to be honest with myself and see myself from any other perspective than that of my own. I embraced my insecurities by pushing pass my fears and went for it and it was amazing! It was a journey for me. I've always wanted to do a fashion shoot and never had the guts to do it and when I let it all go, it was liberating! And the best of it all, I shared it with my little girl. She saw me in a new light, a bright light heck, a better light! I am so happy I shared that moment with her. At one point I cried and she asked why. I told her that I've always wanted to do this and I finally did and I told her that whatever she wants to do in life, do it. Have the courage to be in the moment and not wait for the insecurities to subside instead allow the fearless you burst through.

I cannot take all the credit for that day. My photographer, high school friend and creative counterpart gets major kudos. He along with his daughter are an incredible team. He pushed me to show all sides of who I am as a woman of inside and outside beauty. At one point he said, "I need an honest picture. Give me honesty." And from that point onward, I gave him almost 40 years of my life in less than 4 hours. He captured every blemish, stretch mark, wrinkle, crinkle, scar, pimple, dimple, ripple, low nipple...every smile, tear, frown, laugh, grimace, bravery and insecurity. He gave me his all and in return I gave him all that I had in me. It is my life on film; in color, in black and white.

Artist Spotlight: Cisco StreetLenz

Angel Rodriguez, a California native, creative soul, collector of old school records and vintage equipment, IS photography. His ability to find and capture beauty in almost everything he points his camera at, is a gift from no other than God. A loving and devoted husband and father, who's moniker Cisco StreetLenz, has a professional yet rouge approach to photography. Whether he is shooting in a well-equipped studio or trekking on foot in the heart of the City of Los Angeles, Cisco will produce work that will sure to make its way into a well respected fashion magazine very soon. Our collaboration was bananas! We communicated prior to the shoot to discuss how we can pull from each other's creative strengths. We developed a plan and put it into action. It is my birthday gift to myself. Emerged was a confident me. Confident in my talent as small business owner, costume designer, wardrobe stylist, woman, mother and wife. He kicked butt, we kicked butt.







No comments:

Post a Comment