Sunday, April 7, 2013

Day #14 - Super Easy Sewing Tutorial

Spring Is In The Air

Today was my daughter's annual Spring Musical held at her school. The production is massive and the children are very talented and committed. The parents are very involved, supportive and a little militant. They are serious about the business of show business and the result is a great show. I assisted as I try to do every year and I am BEAT!!! I volunteer to help the girls with wardrobe, hair and make-up and they can get a little Hollywood. I mean really, I work with adults less diva-ish but all in all, it's fun and it is one of my duties as a parent of a great school.

The Spring Musical typically marks my entrance into spring fashion. There is something about it that brings out the floral in me. When I look back at my past photos from the musical, I am wearing floral print in a vintage style. Maybe it's because it is always held on the most gorgeous Sunday in the month of April and that brings out the happy feelings in me.

4 Scores And 20 Years Ago

I first learned how to sew by hand. The very first thing I made was a pair of gingham shorts for my aunt's 21st birthday. I was so proud of them and she was so happy to receive them. They were too small and not the cutest but I remember feeling good because something I created made someone else happy. Fast forward 10years later, still sewing by hand, I saved up enough money to I purchase my first sewing machine from Montgomery Ward. I taught myself how to use it and would make simple dresses by using my old dresses as patterns. I would also deconstruct old clothes and use them as pattern pieces. Fast forward 20years after that (present time), I purchased my second sewing machine and rediscovered my first love. I am still self thought but now I use my resources, gained some skills and techniques but there is nothing like figuring it out on my own...or doing it old school.

For this year's Spring Musical I decided to make a simple floral midi dress. When I went into my bin-o-fabric I thought it would be fun to do a tutorial to how make a dress using a pre-existing dress as a pattern. This dress is so simple to make, it takes about an hour from start to finish and it may inspire you to sew. It is definitely beginner friendly and super cute. If you do not have a sewing machine, it may inspire you to design and hire someone to sew for you. Either way, I want to share how simple it is to be a self-thought designer and rock your own fabulous clothes.

This is about 3 yards of fabric. The dress I am going to show you how to make only needs about 1.5yrds. This fabric gives & stretches. It is perfect for a fitted dress. Use stretchy fabric when making this dress.

I like to thread my needle and set my machine before I cut. Once I cut, I am ready to sit, sew & finish. (I used white thread for the inside and black for hemming. I was running out of black so I improvised w/the 2 colors)

I went through my closet and found a dress I love. I love the fit, length and cut. It was perfect to use as a pattern. Fold your fabric in half, place your dress on top of the fabric (you will cut 2 pieces at one time, that is why you fold it in half)...



...cut around the dress leaving a 2 inch seam allowance on all sides & at least an extra 3-4inches on the length for hemming

Turn your fabric right side facing each other and pin together so that you can sew straight & neatly (I didn't pin my fabric)
Now that your 2 sides are sewn together, you now have the makings of a dress! Finish your neckline, arm holes, hem the bottom & BAM!! You did it!!
I love this print!! It has a "wiggle-dress" vintage feel so styled it w/my vintage gold clutch, sandals & minimum accessories


Happy Sewing, Peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment