Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day #13 - Fun Foods For Kids


Mama's In The Kitchen

I love to cook. Even more so I love to cook fun foods that my children will enjoy. I must admit to the learning curve that came with cooking for the kids. My childhood home was a stark contrast to my children's. My mom was old school and made heavy meals that the average child would either eat with a frown or fed the dog under the table. She was a good cook but neckbones and egg noodles were not a fun or tasty food for a 5yr old like myself at the time. I lived for nights when she made hot dogs, hamburgers or spaghetti. I could definitely relate to eating something that was either sold in a restaurant or served for lunch in grade school.

In the beginning, cooking seemed to be a daunting task for me. I had to do it often and it had to be good. Tall order. Grocery shopping was a nightmare! No matter what time a day, with or without the children, it was one of the duties I didn't have the patience for. So what was my break though? I stopped shopping like my mother and started shopping with my children in mind. Some would think "uh, duh!" But hey, I am candidly sharing how jacked up my Mommy 101 skills were. My mom bought and cooked all of her favorite foods and we had to deal with it or not eat. Those were your options. On occasions she treated us to our favorites but that was few and far in between. I grew up with a mature palette but went crazy when I had my own money to buy junk food or fast food. The result was me not having balance. Once I identified that I was carrying the torch my mom passed on, I made some changes that proved to work best for me and my household.

Shopping With The Kids

If and when I can, I do not bring the children grocery shopping with me. This saves me time, money and hair. Children will coax you into throwing things in the basket that is not on your grocery list. And if you have a child anything like my 5yr old son, you will say "YES!!!" just so you will not have to hear him ask for the 1,875th time. And there goes your budget!

My children are not big fan of veggies but they will eat some. Sometimes I substitute their veggies with fruit. I am old school when it comes to veggies. Eat them first, then get your main course. I let them pick out their own veggies. That way they are more likely to eat them being that they were their choice pick. Surprisingly enough, it works!

When I have to take them shopping with me, I include them in the process. I recite a list of items for each of them to write down and they are accountable for picking out those specific items. This was the best idea ever! They have their little list in their own scribble-scrabble handwriting, they are in a zone scouring the aisle then they check items off their list as soon as it hits the basket. Because they are so busy and focused on their assignment, they are less likely to ask for everything on Aisle 9. Success!

The Kids Favs

There is nothing like a quick, easy, fun and healthy meal! I do let them splurge a little but there is a level of balance in their diets I strive to maintain. And too, they can run around the coffee table and burn off any undesirable calories in a minute. Darn kids! Anywoo, here are two of their favorite fun foods they enjoy and I enjoy making them.
Mini Pizzas - Using a can of biscuits from your grocer's refrigerator section, flatten & spread each biscuit forming a pizza crust, add cheese, marinara sauce and pepperoni

 Pop into the even for 15-20minutes until crust & toppings are fully cooked

The kids love these AND they love making them too! Serve with salad

Eggs In A Basket - Place frozen hash browns in a lightly greased muffin tin & bake for 45mins. Take out of oven then crack & add one egg into each hash brown tin, top with cheese and cooked bacon. Place under broiler for 6-8mins until cheese is melted

Hash brown, eggs, cheese and bacon! Serve with fresh fruit and OJ. YUM!!!


Was perfect for our Easter Brunch!


Happy Baking, Peeps!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment