Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day #27 - Finding A "Lady": The Skinny On Seamstresses

Seamstress 101

First, I am not a seamstress. I can sew, I can design but I am not a seamstress. A seamstress is a woman who's occupation is sewing. Nothing but sewing. All day, everyday. Dressmaker is another name for seamstress. I am not a dressmaker either. I've made dresses and I've sewn them personally but I do not like it. I prefer to design and let someone else sew unless it is for myself. That is because I know my measurements and it's faster and easier. Now that we got that out of the way, here is the skinny...

I've met quite of few seamstresses and everyone has an unique approach to the craft and level of training. Some seamstresses can design but do not make patterns. Some seamstresses cannot design and is a pattern maker. Some seamstresses only sews and can only sew with a pattern. Some seamstresses can take your pre-cut design and just sew it. Now you see?

Finding an affordable seamstress in Los Angeles shouldn't be that hard and it isn't depending on what you need as stated in the aforementioned paragraph. If you are looking for someone to sew a simple cute summer outfit, the price should be right. If you are looking for someone to whip out a replica of your 1990's prom dress, well you will be paying prom prices. Here are some tips to assist you with finding you a "lady". Every woman needs a "lady".

 Sew What?

So you found you a "lady" and you want her to make you an outfit that lives in your head. Okay, do you and her a favor, Google something similar or try to sketch it. Once you get your seamstress involved in the design aspect of your outfit, the price will go up and some of your creative control will be taking away then you will end up with a balloon skirt with a matching sarong when you wanted a chiffon maxi skirt.

Cut & Sew Seamstress - she will take your fabric, your measurements, your sketch or Google photo and make your outfit. Search for a seamstress in your area, give her a call and ask questions. Don't waste your time or her time.  Ask as many questions you can to see if she knows her stuff.

Buy your own fabric. If you do not know what kind of fabric you need, Google a similar outfit, go to the online store page, read the specs. This will tell you what was used to create that outfit.

Maxi skirts & dresses typically take 3-4 yards. I am being generous on the yard amount. I would prefer you buy more than less. 

When you meet your "lady" be firm and direct on what you want and will pay for. The best way to do this is by having a Google image or sketch.

Get a receipt or contract. Have it in writing. It doesn't matter if she is making you a pair of socks, put it in writing.

Avoid paying too much for the sake of something original. You purchased your fabric. You will only pay for labor. Seamstresses charge flat rate or hourly based on the level of difficulty. If your design need elastic, zippers or belts, that will be a part of their charge. They are also charging you for thread.

Okay, I am getting sleepy. If you have any questions...ask and you shall get an answer.

Happy Seamstress Search, Peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment