Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day #6 - Product Review: Save Your Do GymWrap



The Alarming Truth

I read an eye opening article online at MedicalNewsToday that stated the following,"The main reason why many African-American women avoid exercise is because of hair care and maintenance, according to a study published in JAMA." The research, led by Amy J. McMichael, M.D., found that complications of hair care is the main reason why African-American women don't exercise as much as they'd like to (medicalnewstoday.com). The online article further discussed a study given to 103 African-American women age 21 to 60 where they each participated in a questionnaire asking about their physical activity and hair care regimen. The detailed questionnaire asked about specific exercises they did and for how long as well as how much money they spent on their hair. An alarming 40 percent said that they did not exercise due to the fact that it causes them issues with their hair even though they knew the importance of exercise.

I will be the first to admit going to the beauty salon paying a hearty sum for a simple style and not wanting to ruin it by sweating it out at the gym. My hair is not chemically treated with a perm (a chemical hair straighter) it is natural and has to be straightened by a pressing comb. I do however wear a weave with my natural hair out at the top to blend in with the weave hair. Even with a little hair out, physical activities and sweating can be challenging to manage a put together look. And let's face it I'm no hairstylist and trying to recreate the "fresh out of the salon" look does not always work. Most of my workouts are at the gym located on the premises of my workplace and takes place on my lunch break. So picture this...I walk downstairs around 12ish with big sexy flirty hair, the hottest shoes ever, a super cute dress on, great make-up...have an AWESOME workout, totally like Richard Simmons on steroids!...around 1ish walk up stairs with hair LOOKING like Richard Simmon's hair on steroids. NOT a good look BUT nice workout! No honey, no. I do not think it is vanity wanting to maintain your appearance but I do think it can be a form of neglect by sacrificing your health. What's having a great hairstyle when you are not honoring your body, your temple. Nice hair and hypertension? Huh? There has to be a happy medium. And there is...

Necessity Is the Mother of Invention

The brilliant Nicole Ari Parker (Boris Kodjoe's wife...ah Boris...my sweet, sweet, Boris) listened to our cries. Face with the same dilemma of maintaining her hairstyle while working out, Nicole saw a need and took the ye ole' Economics 101 route...supply and demand. She taped into a market and capitalized. Success! The beautiful and oh so smart Nicole Ari Parker created the trademarked Save Your Do GymWrap. The SYD gymwrap works wonders! I was skeptical at first but then I took a passive look at my thighs and hair and immediately became a believer. I view it as an investment which also makes me responsible for my health. There are no more excuses...well, let’s be real, I can make some up to avoid skipping the gym for a day. Anywoo, I found an online special for $40 and received the full triange and band gymwraps in a handy-dandy carrying case that came in the mail in less than 2 weeks. I use it religiously and there is a BIG difference. I pin my hair up, place the wrap on and after my workout my hair is practically dry. Depending on how intense your workout is your results will vary but for the most part your hairstyle will be salvaged. Your hair is tight and your body is right! Win, win!

How Does It Work?

The SYD gymwrap has edge control technology, wicks away moisture, allows heat to escape, lets cool air in, keeps your hair flat and save your hairstyle. (http://www.saveyourdo.com) Starting at $24.95 and up in different fashionable colors. You can choose from the full triangle gymwrap or the band gymwrap

PROS: intact hairstyle if used properly & overall feeling of awesomeness

CONS: Results may vary based on how you treat and wrap your hair before putting on the SYD gym wrap and your grade of hair.

Happy Wrapping, Peeps!


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment