Friday, March 29, 2013

Day #5 - Let's Get Intimate

Fancy Me Panties

This is one of those subjects that had me going back and forth on how to approach and share. I even went as far as bouncing it off of someone who knows this topic well, a man. I started to think about the journey to womanhood, the destination and ultimately being content with my findings. I don't know why approaching this phase in my life is bringing on so many waves of emotions and insecurities but it is. And instead of listening to and accepting the "girl you're fine, you look great" responses, I want to identify and pay attention to my self-doubt and slowly crawl from beneath its cloud of negativity that it can bring on. Basically re-frame the negative and accentuate the positive when I can. And that is why I want to talk about PANTIES!!! Yay! Such a poor segway but it works for me!

I can recall the times when my mother would undress in front of me and I would look and wonder why her bras were so white, cotton-y and saggy. Always soft looking with a strip of sad white lace on it and when it was laundry day I would see lent balls stuck on the inside. They were not the prettiest things in the world. Nonetheless she wore them with...dun, dun, dun...GRANNY PANTIES!! (gasps) She was so in her 20's and 30's and was so not a granny. Sigh. But hey, that was how she rolled and unfortunately I thought that was how I should roll...with white saggy, lace-y, cotton-y bras and granny panties for tweens. (kill me now!)

One day in my 20's I remember watching a talk show with Tyra Banks as the guest. I cannot recall which talk show it was or what the show was about but to this very day I remember the one thing that changed my life FOREVER. Tyra said, and I will paraphrase, 'a woman should always match her panties with her bra. Invest in a good bra in the basic colors (black, white or beige) and buy several pair of underwear of that same color and will you always match. There is no excuse.' WHAT SAY YOU TYRA??!!! My first thought was,"what the hell does she know?!" THEN I thought, "you big dummy, she IS Victoria's Secret she knows a lot." Fair enough. My life was never the same, in a good way. I got some cash and brought my first fancy bra from Victoria's Secret with matching panties in different styles of the same color. I got hooked and it got expensive. Damn you Tyra! That was a smooth marketing gimmick for VS!! That was then, this is now.

Looking good under all the layers of self-doubt is an instant confidence booster. Even if my skin looks like prepubescent back acne, I'm bloated, icky, gross, downtrodden, I know that I can come home take off the hectic day and be reminded that there is a wee-bit of sexy underneath. It's like seeing a red balloon fly by...yay, how pretty?! Time has changed and I am no longer in my 20's with money to burn to be sexy. My money and priorities have changed but I still have that desire to stay sexy...ON A BUDGET LIKE A MOFO!! And since I am a part of the A-Team (A-cup...whoop, whoop!), I can get away with bras that are inexpensive and still of good quality. Keeping with Tyra's advice 20yrs later (wowsers!) I still match my panties with my bras but now I do it differently. And too, I am reminded of my mom saying "if you get in a car accident you will want to have on clean underwear." I can 'one up' that and say "if I get into a car accident and perish I will be matching! I will be dead sexy!" (such a bad joke, just bad BUT funny!)

ForeverSexy Under $20

I love me some Forever21! I particularly love their pretty bras & panties. I went there this week to do a little lingerie shopping. Bras start at $7.80 in ALL sizes and panties are 3 for $9.80. Whether you purchase your bra at Forever21, Victoria's Secret, Big-Juggs-R-Us, try creating a color story that will add to your collection of sexy. Women typically wear their bras more than once before laundering so a good bra is a good investment. Panties are changed daily so the wear-and-tear is inevitable. Creating a color story and occasionally picking up new panties will keep your collection nice and fresh. Same bra, awesome new panties, always matching, under $20. No brainer!

***TMI ALERT, TMI ALERT*** There is NO such thing as "period panties". Period. (pun intended). Purchase 5 pairs of all black full briefs and wear those with your black bra. You DO NOT want to be caught on a hot date (which will be a lukewarm date if it lands on those days) with huge floral undies. He will tell his friends.

The World of Panties

There are so many styles of undies so here is a list to keep your collection looking fierce!

Full briefs (a.k.a Granny Panties)
Boy Shorts/Boy Leg
Thongs
G-strings
V-strings
T-back
Tangas/Cheekys
Hipster/Hip Huggers
Hi-cut/French cut
Bikinis/String bikini


Forever21 Demi Bra $7.80 and up

Stay sexy, Peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment